Photo of Professionals at Bomar Law Firm

Guiding You Through The Legal Process

Photo of Professionals at Bomar Law Firm

Atlanta, Georgia, Tax Attorneys Stopping IRS Wage Garnishment / Levy

One form of collection the IRS may use to collect unpaid taxes is to garnish part of your wages. If this has happened to you or if you have received any communication from the IRS indicating that your taxes are past due, we can help. The Atlanta, Georgia, tax lawyers at Bomar Law Firm are experts in stopping wage levies and other IRS-enforced collections.

How Does It Work?

The amount seized from your paycheck through this type of IRS levy may depend on factors such as:

  • Your income tax filing and tax collectible status (single, joint or head of household and collectible or currently not collectible)
  • The pay period included in your check (one week, two weeks or a month’s wages, for example)
  • The number of your dependents

Before garnishing your wages, the IRS should send you notifications, including:

  • A notice and demand
  • A notice of intent to levy
  • A notice of your right to a “collection due process” hearing

If you fail to respond or resolve the demand, wage garnishment is possible. The IRS may continue garnishing your wages until:

  • You enter into an installment agreement such as IRS Fresh Start Relief, partial pay installment agreement or streamlined installment agreement.
  • You enter into a currently not collectible status.
  • You pay the full amount due.
  • You prove that the levy was in error, violated due process or violated IRS procedure.

When To Contact A Lawyer

If you have received a notice threatening wage garnishment, contact a tax law attorney immediately. You have limited time available to respond before losing control of your usual income.

If your wages have already been garnished, the sooner you contact a tax attorney, the more options there will be for a favorable result. If the garnishment was in error, a skilled lawyer can help you recover the lost funds. Get a free consultation with us by calling 800-765-2779 or sending an email.