Former I.R.S. Chief Counsel lawyer Calvin Bomar is an Atlanta, Georgia tax attorney who represents clients in IRS audits, administrative appeals, Tax Court litigation and obtaining IRS tax relief through offer in compromise, penalty abatement, currently not collectible status and the IRS Fresh Start Program. He helps clients remove bank levy / garnishment and liens, handles Georgia tax cases, and all other tax matters. His team also includes Larry Carnes, who served as an I.R.S. Revenue Officer for over 28 years.
A description of the practice areas that the firm handles includes:
- Offer in compromise: Under this program, taxpayers frequently offer the IRS an amount that is less than what you owe. In some cases, this can save hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Currently not collectible status: If this status is obtained, the IRS will not seek to collect unless your financial situation changes, and will never collect if the period of limitations on assessment expires while the status is in effect.
- Penalty abatement: Our attorneys can file a request for penalty abatement that seeks to remove the penalties associated with any taxes owed.
- Levy and garnishment: A top priority for our lawyers is always to stop any wage garnishment and bank levy, and to remove any that existed when the client came to us.
- Audit defense: When possible, it is generally best to eliminate an assessment of tax at the audit stage, minimizing the stress and cost for the client.
- Administrative appeals: If you are wrongly assessed tax, denied relief or subjected to collection activity, you can seek to resolve it in your favor during the IRS appeal process, without the need for the case to move forward to trial.
- Tax litigation: If litigation is required, our experienced tax attorneys can guide you through the process with confidence.
- Innocent spouse relief: When it is unfair to hold you responsible for your spouse's or former spouse's tax debt, we will file a request for innocent spouse relief or injured spouse relief.
- Georgia state tax cases: In state tax cases involving the Georgia Department of Revenue, it is important to have a representative familiar with their procedues. The lawyers at our firm routinely handle Georgia state tax cases.
Estate Planning | Probate
The estate planning attorneys at our firm can provide advanced estate planning, wills, trusts, estate administration and representation in Georgia probate and estate litigation.
We can provide guidance to clients on how to shield their assets from future creditors, while also arranging for those assets to pass to heirs.
Our Atlanta tax attorneys represent many nonprofit organizations regarding formation, obtaining nonprofit status, compliance, employment issues, contracts and litigation.
In addition to information about our law practice, this site contains numerous tax articles.
See also our Tax Term Dictionary.